Sustainable Rail Heritage Management Strategy
- The Sustainable Rail Heritage Management Strategy is an intergenerational plan to conserve and display the State's rich railway heritage.
- The four objectives of the Strategy are:
- Facilitating the proper care and sustainable management of this State's core rail heritage assets;
- Supporting and working with rail heritage precincts throughout the State, special interest groups and partners;
- Facilitating the transfer of heritage conservation skills development; and
- Valuing and building on rail heritage volunteering.
- This new Strategy will also see a commitment to:
- the overhaul of locomotive 3801 to ensure this icon continues to operate for another generation.
- the completion of the restoration of locomotive 3265 in partnership with the Powerhouse Museum.
- in partnership with the Churchill Trust, a fellowship sponsors an individual to work with overseas heritage organisations to enhance their skills and learning, in order to support the conservation of rail heritage in New South Wales.
- the creation of a tourist facility for rail heritage in New South Wales with the upgrade of the Rail Heritage Centre at Thirlmere.
- The Office of Rail Heritage was established within RailCorp in 2006 to implement this Strategy.
in PDF format